Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Week 2 ~ Developing Your Personal GAME Plan

           When teams want to win a game, the coach designs a game plan by setting goals for the team, defining actions, monitoring the players and evaluating during the game and after the game to determine the plan for the next game.  The same GAME plan is outlined for educators to use with their students to set goals, taking actions by lesson planning, monitoring student growth and evaluating student progress and student effectiveness (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3).  This week we were asked to create a GAME plan using indicators from NETS-T.    

            Indicator: Model Digital Age Work and Learning – Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society.

Goals: To learn about and become skilled in new technologies and instruct in order to become better at collaboration not only with students but parents and others, even globally. 

Action: To involve my next class more with the opportunity to increase our communication with a class in Rwanda.  This year, a former student began her two year journey in Rwanda with the Peace Corps.  We communicated a little throughout the school year and shared our culture.  I want to plan a working unit with them.

Monitor: Once I have designed a lesson, students will be observed so I can adjust as we go, reteach any content or technology that I need to so they can proceed with their work.

Evaluation: Student will be assessed based on the objectives and the purpose of the assignment.  Reflection is involved by the student as well as me to determine if changes are need to enhance the learning experience.  It is difficult at this time to be specific since I do not know exactly yet what the work will be.  I do want to involve my students more in cultures around the world and using technologies like edmodo.com to connect is something I want to explore more.  The little communicating we did this year had a huge effect on the interest of problems around the world. 

Indicator: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership- teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership.

Goals: Today I was asked by my principal to be our team leader for the next two years.  There were others I thought she would choose before me so I am thrilled.  In my meeting, she said she chose me because of my technology skills and that I would be perfect to lead my team to a higher level of learning by sharing my skills. So, I am going to take on this role, not just with the traditional responsibilities but to create a professional learning club.  Even though we teach separate subjects, there are many things we can do together as a group, especially since common core is upon us. 

Action: We will meet once a week like we are required but I want to include a technology component to our meeting.  Also, by connecting to other schools, collaborating with in our school, attending professional development with our ITS and district personal when it is offered.  There is one teacher who is still hesitant, I will offer my assistance in a one to one capacity to help them gain confidence and develop ideas.

Monitor: During weekly meetings we can go over what we have done with new technologies, see how they are doing implementing their knowledge, and troubleshooting any problems. 

Evaluation: I want to be a good listener too.  I want my team to be comfortable to tell me if something is not working for them or if it just does not suit their needs.  I also want them to be able to tell me how I am doing as a leader and if I can do more for them.  We are a very good team, Next year we will downsize from six to four.  The four of us can become a good resource for each other.   We are all talented in different ways and that is what makes us good.  We share and discuss things productively.  If that can continue, then we will be effective in our goals to enhance our technology skills as we prepare our kids for the future.


References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom
use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for
teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers


 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Deborah,
    First I would like to congratulate you on being chosen as the team leader! I bet that is a wonderful compliment and sense of achievement for you! I like both of your ideas to become more confident in your ITES-T indicators. I was thinking to myself when you talked about your group leader role, by including a technology components, you could give one new technology tool that you have learned about and something the teachers can introduce to their classroom (like Dr. Lebeau does in discussions:) . I enjoy to learn about new websites, and activities I can do online.
    For your first indicator of increasing communication with a class in Rwanda, there are many online communication tools you can use such as Keypals, Skype, and E-Boaord (a great online collaboration tool) and many more. That will be a fun project, what kind of communication and reflective ideas do you have in mind?

    Here is a link to E-Board if you want to read about it!
    http://www.eboard.com/

    From Jennifer Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Jenny! It always feels good when your administration shows that they have trust in you to take on another responsibility.
    I love that idea about sharing the Today's Tech items. I am keeping them all in my favorites as she posts them. They are every new to me.
    We will Skype with out Rwanda friends before the school year is out. We have been using a message board type communication with edmodo. There is a group just for that purpose. One topic that was prompted this year was water. My students learned that we are very fortunate to have clean water at our disposal and never have to live without that. In Rwanda, they have to go through a lengthy process to make their water clean and healthy and some choose not to! Another topic recently discussed was about the dangers of mosquitos and malaria. She (my former student) sent pictures of mosquito nets that people need to sleep with at night. I just love when my kids realize that there are others in this world that face hardships and not having the internet for one day is truly not one of them! Brings out the compassion in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,
      I like how you choose real world issues in other countries. I know it interests the students to see what life could be like in another country. If I were student in your class, I would be very interested. Your students realizing other's hardships will make them be appreciative of what we have in our country.

      Delete
  3. ...And by the way, I am really interested in the eboard! Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah,
    Congratulations on being asked to be a team leader for your school. Funny thing, I was asked the same thing by my principal on Wednesday. We have already scheduled meetings in August to develop a calendar for staff training next year. It makes me feel like all of this hard work is being appreciated and valued, right?!

    Anyway, how exciting to Skype with with a class from Rwanda. I have wanted to do this with my class. Thinking back to elementary school, having "Pen Pals" was one of my best memories. I have heard edmoto is really good, but I haven't used it. I have also heard of ooVoo, which allows you to chat with 12 different people at once, it looks pretty user friendly and is free. I think that student learn so much and gain so much value from learning about other cultures.

    Nice post, best wishes!
    Amy Seiber

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome opportunity your students have to be able to work with a class in Rwanda. Although we talk about how different cultures live, the students can ask questions and gain first hand knowledge from people who live there. With the evaluation, how will you be sure that the objective is met? Is your objective measureable?

    Congratulations on your new position! You're hard work is paying off. With the knowledge you gained and your interesting and educational blogging, I am positive that you will make an impact at your school. This shows that technology is not only for our students, but for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, Congratulations to you as well! Our meeting will take place over the summer. Nothing has been announced yet due to decisions still being made about grade level changes. Nice to know I'll be in 4th for another two years!

    Jeanine, It is hard to answer that right now with out a specific objective or assignment in mind. Common Core standards include a communication aspect for both written and verbal skills. That is something I need to figure out is evaluating the verbal component. Reflection is usually part of all my assessments. Maybe now setting up conferences with students to practice and evaluate their verbal skills. our summer professional development is all about Common Core. Good question for me to keep in mind. Thanks for your reply!

    ReplyDelete