Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Week 4 ~ Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress


            I am struggling a bit with this game plan.  I think because it is at the end of the school year, only 8 more days of school remaining, I am finding it hard to progress due to the indicators I chose.  My two indicators were Model Digital Age Work and Learning and to Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership.  Both of these I am planning to attack in the summer months when my professional development classes begin. 
Information and Resources I Need ~ For the first indicator, I need to sit down with my ELA/SS teammate and design some new and exciting lessons and assessments that were mentioned in this week’s chapter.  “There is no magic formula to determine the right assessment task or the appropriate technology f every performance goal” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 142).  But what you do need is a plan for teaching and I am lacking that at the moment.  I need a focus to this plan.
Modifying the Plan ~ I do not think have to modify my plan too much, I just think my indicators are time sensitive.  As I get closer to the next school year, I will hve a better understanding of the specifics.  I need to find that focus.  Since the students I Rwanda are still in school, using edmodo, I can plan some summer response question to keep the interest alive. 
What I Have Learned So Far ~ Tasks in education happen in a natural progression.  Professional development is offered certain times a year but in the mean time I am already redesigning some of our documents to make our progress reports more concise and less time consuming for the teacher every other week.   I am collecting new resources to share.  Also, working over the summer with our ELA common core liaison so I know new projects and lessons are in the works to better align the standards across content. 
New Questions?  Am I on the right track?  I feel focused and fuzzy at the same time. 

 

References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom

            use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.



5 comments:

  1. I think you have a good attitude about your goals. However, why do you need to have your goals met now? Why can't they be the focus for the next school year so you can effectively plan over the summer? I, like you, finish school June 7th. That does not give me nearly enough time to accomplish my two goals, so I'm using those goals to plan technology integration for the 2013-2014 school year. You have some professional development opportunities you will be a part of, so why not incorporate into that aspect?I like that you are taking the initiative to stay connected with your students during the summer and keep them motivated. You have the drive and focus, don't be so hard on yourself. Why not set goals with the students you'll be in contact with over the summer? -Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika! You are so right! I am hard on myself and I shouldn't be. I am working on a book club to keep kids reading over the summer and to talk about the books. Writing summaries, book reviews, and discussions is something I want to participate in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time of year is difficult when it comes to having to work with group to complete an assignment. I think it is great that you are working with colleagues and also have a plan in place for the summer to work more towards your goal. I also like how you are going to communicate with the other class. Maybe when the students come back to school they will want to get into contact with them again or you can start right away with your new students working with the Rwanda students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanine, I plan to do just that, begin immediately with the Rwanda class. This past year it began in January. I plan to work over the summer through Skype with Lauren (Rwanda teacher and former student of mine) and create projects that we can compare and share. Right now with 5 days of school left, I am focusing on summer planning with colleagues and also with Lauren. Many changes are in the works for next year. With common core, we are designing a more project based curriculum. From what I heard, it is going to be very exciting for the students and very challenging for all of us! Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you that finding the time and resources to integrate technology into lessons can be very challenging. It is quite cumbersome at times to visit and research different sites to find the best source of information for the particular topic you’re researching. I mentioned in previous posts that the CITT (Curriculum Integration Technology Teacher) for my department offers some great direction for my content area. She is an excellent resource and she even connects me with high school teachers (I teach middle school) that may be working on a similar project or assignment that we can collaborate on. It is nice to have a resource like her because many times she knows projects that all the FACS teachers are working on because she is helping all of us and she can give us ideas to use in our own way with the particular lesson we are teaching. Do you have any resources such as this in your school district?

    ReplyDelete